The World in Your Lunch Box by Claire Eamer Artwork by Sa Boothroyd

Release Date: February 1st 2012
We are presented with 7 days of lunch from pizza to sandwiches to black pepper and beyond. It's evaluating what you eat through science and a lot of history.

I actually really liked the history portion of it like how sandwich was named after the Earl of Sandwich. Apples originated only on the mountains of Kazakhstan. Who would have thought that? I mean apples are like a staple in the U.S. Apple pie and such...

I also realized through this that some people are just lazy like a person who was looking for black pepper found something else and was so lazy that he just named them peppers. Hot dogs were actually called dachshund dogs or something to that effect and this cartoonist didn't know how to spell dachshund so instead he out hot dogs. It's a better name but still.... you could have picked up a dictionary.

This is a very kid friendly book, informative, but in a fun way. The illustrations remind me a lot of Roald Dahl's illustrations. Sort of this haphazard drawing technique I guess. I'm sure it'll get kids wondering about where their food comes from. Maybe even busy parents can get their kids to help them in the kitchen or question more. Kids have busy and curious minds so I think this book will help indulge that curiosity.

Comments

  1. I have never heard of this book- but it does sound like fun. I liked the history facts you shared- I feel smarter already. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top