Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

My favorite teacher finally arrives! All of the old friends of Harry's dad come around. It's like Harry's family presenting themselves to him.

First Sentences:

"Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways. For one thing, he hated the summer holidays more than any other time of the year."

Last Sentences:

"He's a convicted murder, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though... keep up with my news... check if I'm happy...." And grinning broadly at the look of horror on Uncle Vernon's face, Harry set off toward the station exit, Hedwig rattling along in front of him, for what looked like a much better summer than the last.

Favorite Quotes:

He raised his hand automatically and tried to make his hair lie flat.
"You are fighting a losing battle there dear," said his mirror in a wheezy voice.

"I'm not going to be murdered," Harry said aloud.
"That's the spirit, dear," said his mirror sleepily.

The mirror's responses to Harry were pretty funny. It kind of reminds me of Belle's talking mirror but much wittier.

Sybill Trelawney by eighthSun
"You look in excellent health to me, Potter, so you will excuse me if I don't let you off homework today. I assure you that if you die, you need not hand it in." - Professor McGonagall

This is after the Divination teacher basically said he was going to die this year. McGonagall can be hilarious sometimes.

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

One of the most famous quotes in the Harry Potter series. I love that the Marauder's map ended up being in part created by his father. It's nice that Harry has a part of his father's memory in his hands. 

"Do you know, Harry. I think she might have been." he said thoughtfully. "Who'd have thought it? That brings her total of real predictions up to two. I should offer a pay raise...."

And we all know what the first prediction was... It's funny how Dumbledore reacts to things. He's usually very calm, sarcastic, or funny in the way he reacts to situations.

Favorite Moments:

"But Aunt Marge suddenly stopped speaking. For a moment, it looked as though words had failed her. She seemed to be swelling with inexpressible anger - but the swelling didn't stop. Her great red face started to expand, her tiny eyes bulged, and her mouth stretched too tightly for speech - next second, several buttons had just burst from her tween jacket like a monstrous balloon, her stomach bursting free of her tweed waistband, each of her fingers blowing up like a salami -"

Probably the greatest karma anyone has received in any book ever. She even said the line about if there is something wrong with a mother dog there's something wrong with the pup but said not so nicely. 

"Harry ate breakfast each morning in the Leaky Cauldron, where he liked watching the other guests: funny little witches from the country, up for a day's shopping; venerable-looking wizards arguing over the latest article in Transfiguration Today; wild-looking warlocks; raucous dwarfs; and once, what looked suspiciously like a hag, who ordered a plate of raw liver from behind a thick woolen balaclava." 

Harry's describes how he's never had more freedom in the previous paragraph to this one. In this one he's describing basically what I do. Go somewhere alone to eat and observe people. It reminded me so much of how I suddenly felt when going to college the first time.

"Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic?" said Malfoy. "And he's supposed to be our teacher!" Harry and Ron both made furious moves toward Malfoy, but Hermione got their first - SMACK! She had slapped Malfoy across the face with all the strength she could muster. Malfoy staggered. Harry, Ron, Crabbe, and Goyle stood flabbergasted as Hermione raised her hand again. "Don't you dare call Hagrid pathetic, you foul - you evil -"

All I can think of in this moment is GO HERMIONE! Malfoy needed a smack a long time ago.

Moody, Padfoot, Wormtail, and Prongs - Viria
"You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don't recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble? Your father is alive in you, Harry, and shows himself most plainly when you have need of him. How else could you produce that particular Patronus? Prongs rode again last night!"
...."You know Harry, in a way, you did see your father last night.... You found him inside yourself."

I don't remember catching this before. Harry conjured up a Patronus his father was as an animagus without knowing it. How touching is that? He has this connection with his father that he wasn't aware of. I love that his mother's Patronus is a doe. They are both deers!

Ron's eyes widened. The minute owl was still hotting excitedly. "Keep him?" he said uncertainly. He looked closely at the owl for a moment; then, to Harry's and Hermione's great surprise, he held him out for Crookshanks to sniff. "What do'you reckon?" Ron asked the cat. "Definitely an owl?" Crookshanks purred. "That's good enough for me," said Ron happily. "He's mine."

Pig! I love this little owl. I honestly forgot about him. I need to make sure to keep an eye out for him in the next books.

Thoughts on Prisoner of Azkaban:

Remus! I love Remus. He's such a caring guy. He's the first person that was really close to Harry's parents that Harry knows of that he can talk to about them. Not including Dumbledore. 

I forgot about Crookshanks too! I'm forgetting all the animals... I forgot how he was so smart and became friends with Sirius the dog. I think he's supposed to be a type of creature... not just a cat. Something else that distinguishes him. Now that I think about it. What happens to Pig and Crookshanks? I can't remember.

Snape really has a chip on his shoulder. He can't seem to forgive or even try to see things from other points of view like when they all were trying to explain about Wormtail. He seriously belongs in Slytherin. 

Hagrid basically taught his class about two creatures all year. How on Earth is he allowed to teach!? No one learned anything!

I'm glad Harry has someone he can talk to about his parents now. I wish Harry was able to stay with Sirius wherever he is.

Comments

  1. With every book I fell harder and harder for the characters of Harry Potter. Thanks. I may have to do some reading and visit this wonderful world again. :-)


    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gotten better with time. I know I'll always love coming back to this story.

      Delete
  2. I love this series so much! I have to admit that this wasn't my favorite book in the series - I missed the mini mystery that they all seem to have - but I loved it all the same. And Professor Lupin was my favorite Defense Against the Dark Arts professor too! xD

    Thanks for sharing! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently this was J.K. Rowling's favorite. At least I'm sure I read that somewhere... I've never really loved this story before either but I really love Lupin and Harry's new connection with his dad's past.

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top