Nursery Rhyme Comics: 50 Timeless Rhymes from 50 Celebrated Cartoonists

Standalone. First Second (Oct. 2011) Library
First Second is very proud to present Nursery Rhyme Comics. Featuring fifty classic nursery rhymes illustrated and interpreted in comics form by fifty of today’s preeminent cartoonists and illustrators, this is a groundbreaking new entry in the canon of nursery rhymes treasuries.
From New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast’s “There Was a Crooked Man” to Bad Kitty author Nick Bruel’s “Three Little Kittens” to First Second’s own Gene Yang’s “Pat-a-Cake,” this is a collection that will put a grin on your face from page one and keep it there.
Each rhyme is one to three pages long, and simply paneled and lettered to ensure that the experience is completely accessible for the youngest of readers. Chock full of engaging full-color artwork and favorite characters (Jack and Jill! Old Mother Hubbard! The Owl and the Pussycat!), this collection will be treasured by children for years to come.


Nursery rhymes are classic poetic stories that I have loved as a child and as an adult. They are just so recognizable and short where it's impossible not to know them. There were a couple of nursery rhymes in this graphic novel that I didn't recognize but enjoyed nonetheless. Some of the rhymes were just alright and the illustrations too while there were other that I adored the way the story was presented with the illustrations retelling classic nursery rhymes. Here are some of the nursery rhymes I really enjoyed:                                                                                            

Hickory Dickory Dock by Stephanie Yue


Probably the cutest little mouse has the job of hitting a clock at one. This was such a clever little remake and origin of why the mouse is climbing up the clock. He's got a job to do!


Little Miss Muffet by Mark Martin


The spider that sat beside Miss Muffet is smiling his nicest smile but he has terrifying teeth so Miss Muffet runs away. The spider is so cute and looks like the perfect little gentleman. 


Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater by Eric Orchard

This rhyme was going south with me because Peter couldn't keep his wife so he just put her in a pumpkin shell but then he falls in love again I believe. He has some troubles with her too because she loves to read but he ends up learning to write and spell. Now he likes reading books with her and they lived happily ever after. Such a sweet ending. 


There Was a Little Girl by Vera Brosgol


The funniest comic out there and it's by the girl who wrote and illustrated Anya's Ghost! The rhyme starts off so innocent and sweet but then when she gets hungry she gets horrid so you see her big and fat consuming a whole cake on her own at the end.


The Queen of Hearts Eleanor Davis


I feel like I may or may not have heard of this rhyme before but either way, it was light and fun and about strawberry tarts. I particularly like the color scheme to the illustrations. It feels very popeye to me for some reason too.


What are some of your favorite nursery rhymes?

Comments

  1. How fun! I've read another one of these - fairy tales, I believe. I need to try this one!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I am surprised I didn't know this was going to be a thing. Thanks for sharing as always! I am not sure what my favorite nursery rhyme is. Little Miss Muffet always made me smile. Spiders have always scared me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of comics like this. One of fairy tales and one of fables.

      Same!

      Delete
  3. This looks like fun! I feel like a lot of kids don't read nursery rhymes anymore- so this seems like a great way to introduce common stories and poems that have been passed down for generations. I am not sure what my favorite one is- but I have always liked most of them because they were so catchy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. It's mostly in the younger years that Nursery Rhymes are a thing but these were fun for me and I'm an adult (supposedly).

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top